Ten Money Questions for Lisa Sherman
Lisa Sherman is the Senior Vice President and General Manager for Logo. Logo is the network for LGBT viewers launched by MTV Networks. The network provides a mix of original and acquired entertainment programming that is authentic, smart, inclusive and open-minded. I asked her to get personal about money, work and all things financial. Enjoy!
1. Do you think being in the entertainment business gives you a greater or lesser respect for money?
I’ve always had a respect for money, regardless of the business I’ve been in. Working in entertainment just makes making money a little more fun!
2. What is your most significant memory about money?
Cashing my first paycheck!
3. What is your worst habit around finances?
I never balance my checkbook or open a bank statement.
4. I understand you’re speaking at Reaching Out, the LGBT MBA conference this weekend. Do you personally think an MBA is worth the time and investment?
I honestly believe that any time you can grow and learn it’s always worth the time and investment.
5. How does earning a living at a gay-themed venture differ from your other work experience?
A paycheck is a paycheck, but being able to bring my whole self to work is priceless.
6. Do you and your partner, Sophie see eye-to-eye on money? How did money first come up in your relationship?
I’m a lot more conservative than she is, but, as in any good relationship, I’ve learned the art of compromise.
7. Is there truth to the saying, “Do what you love and the money will follow?”
Come hear my keynote address on Friday at Reaching Out and you’ll hear my answer – with some fun video, too!
8. What did your father teach you about money? How were these lessons different from those of your mother?
Dad – save, save, save! Mom – spend, spend, spend!
9. What are your plans for retirement?
Listen more closely to my father – see above.
10. You’re a board member of God’s Love We Deliver, an organization working to alleviate hunger in those living with HIV/AIDS and other serious illnesses. In what ways do you see money doing something good?
The money we raise at GLWD allows us to deliver 3,000 nutritious meals each day to people living with HIV/AIDS in the New York City area. I can’t think of a better way to contribute my money towards doing something good.
More about Lisa Sherman
Lisa Sherman is the Senior Vice President and General Manager for Logo, the ad-supported basic cable network for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) viewers. Sherman oversees all day-to-day production and operation of Logo, as well as guiding the channel from a creative and branding standpoint.
Prior to this position, Sherman served as Senior Vice President and Group Account Director at the New York office of Hill, Holliday Connors, Cosmopulos, part of the Interpublic Group of Companies. Earlier in her career, Sherman served as an executive at Verizon Communications, where she held a number of senior level marketing, advertising and operating positions across 17 years.
Lisa is a cum laude graduate of Dickinson College. She participated in the Johnson Graduate School of Management Executive Program at Cornell University and the Center for Telecommunications Management Executive Program at the University of Southern California. She currently resides in New York City with her partner Sophie Dagenais.
Read other Queercents interviews in the Ten Money Questions archive.